Kavod Ha-Met (Honoring the Dead) is of the utmost importance to treat the body with respect and care from the time of death until the burial is completed.
The following is an overview of our spiritual heritage in the Mitzvah of Kavo Ha-Met
1. Timely Burial: Not unnecessarily delaying the interment
2. Shomer: An attending reader of Psalms so the deceased is never left alone
3. Taharah and Shrouding: Preparation in accordance to Torah by a Chevra Kadisha
4. Wooden Casket: Of natural construction
5. Ground Interment: Burial in the sanctified environs of a Jewish Cemetery
6. Aveilut: Observing Shiva and the Jewish Mourning Traditions